Friday, March 20, 2009

Phoneaphobia????

I was reading Andy's blog tonight and the comments that followed. Now, granted, it has been a while and I just caught up on what Andy had been discussing. After reading Kathryn's comments, she made the point that the Clark Clan suffers from a severe case of Phoneaphobia.

Sadly, I think Kathryn just may have us pegged. I admit that I show significant signs of it. Regularly.

I love my family and I love to talk to them. Just not on the phone. There are times when I would rather dive buck naked in a swimming pool full of razors than pick up the phone and call someone. Just about for any reason.

Why is this? Is not the phone a means of communication? If we were visiting face to face, and somehow we were blindfolded, and stuck some sort of contraption against the side of our heads that cover our ears, would we all scream out in a panic and begin grunting unintelligible words like, "Yeah", "Uh-huh", or "Well, I better let you go. A cow just walked by the window and I'm concerned it may stop by and chew my eyebrows off."

Ok, so I never used that last one, but I have thought it. Ok, so I just made that up. I never thought it.

What it usually ends up doing is causing us to put off calling anyone until it's so darn close to being too late that any reasonable person would say, "It's too late now". Then we call. And it's OK, because the person we call knows that we put it off until way too late. And they know that we put it off until way too late because that is what they would have done if they had to make that phone call. It's usually the in-laws that end up screaming and ranting about how we never call until it's too late. What's their problem? Don't they know about the phone thing? Sheesh....

I think there may be some of us that don't really realize the extent of the phobia. I got a few phone calls from Jared last week. He had a court hearing scheduled for Tuesday and was trying to find someone to watch his kids while he went (this was on Monday, by the way. Pretty close to 'too darn late'). He called me, but he knew he should have called Kathryn and even said so in his message. Fortunately, he got ahold of Brooke and got things worked out. Jared may not have realized the phobia, but he knew to call Kathryn (and Brooke later) and almost waited until it was too darn late.

Of course, Jared ran up against my other malediction. That stupid cell phone. I really think it's the best way to get ahold of me, but I have such a broken record when it comes to actually responding to it. Deep down, I know better, but often times I will find myself noticing that I got a call on it from someone and saying, "Oh, I'll call back in a few minutes; just so I can get this one thing done." And by the time that one thing is done, the phone call is gone, baby. I'll remember to call back around 2 or 3 hours later (if I am doing good - usually it's more like 2 or 3 days) and by then it's too darned late.

Is any of this borne out of a desire to avoid someone? Not really. Is it because I don't want to help? Absolutely not. It's a genetic mental defect, I tell you! And come on, anyone in my family, I dare you to deny it. As soon as you try to, I could cite a million examples where each and every one of us has been guilty of it. (I know, I have been told a billion times not to exaggerate, but alas. Such is the genetic mental defect).

Fortunately, we have married some good folks that can help us with our psychosis. If it weren't for Kathryn, I probably would forget to show up to my own funeral (proverbially speaking, of course). And yes, it drives her crazy that I wait until it's too darned late to call. Sometimes I wonder if her eyes are going to stick rolled back (Teasing! I am teasing Kathryn!!!)

Communication was never a good point for the Clark's. I think Mom may have been the best at it, but even she struggled with it. Grandpa Clark was the worst. And I mean Dad's Dad. Still can you blame him? He was subjected to pressure that I would freeze in horror over. He had to live through one of the worst experiences anyone could face when he spent his time on Iwo Jima. You clam up or you break up. And the Clark's are naturals at claming up.

It's not a good thing and it needs to be better. But understanding it for what it is helps. It's not a lack of caring - far from it.

This next bit is directly 100% for Andy and what he said. I know our family, Andy. I know each and every one of them. They all love each other more than could possibly be stated. We may not say it all the time, or we may not say it like we mean it, but we do. And I guarantee that any one of us would give up significant body parts to help out any one of their family members. I know they would for me. I know they would for you. I know they would for any one of the family.

It has been hard since Mom died for our family's communication. She was such a hub of information to all of us. Without that spoke, I think we have all struggled. It was huge void that got left and I don't know who or how it will be filled. Grandma did a little, but there is only so much she could do and as you know, even Grandma struggles with some communication!

The best I can say, is bear with us. We are all trying to figure all this out. But the foundation is there. I know that each of us loves each other and cares about what is going on. We may not be the best communicators, but the feelings are there and they will never go away. No matter what.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I am NOT reminding you to go to your own funeral. Either you show up or we are starting without you.

Sharon said...

Way to tell him Kathryn!

Mike - Ken has the same problem about answering cell phones. I don't know what it is - but now that I think about it, he had the same problem answering a home phone. So - long story short, if you want to get a hold of him, call me . . . and I'll work out the details and persuade him to get back with you ;)