Saturday, February 14, 2009

The First Kiss - the rest of the story

Ok, Kathryn tells me I have the 'rest of the story'. So here goes.


The story she tells to this point about the Hershey's kisses is true. I do have to say, however, that the chemistry was boiling pretty well between the two of us before then. I remember a journal entry I made saying about how there was something about her (Kathryn) that I just couldn't get over.


To back up a bit, the summer prior to the time I met Kathryn, I had met someone at a singles ward in Kaysville that I had been dating in the summer. Other posts may reflect this most interesting of relationships. To sum it up, it was very much a summer fling that faded significantly as I went back to USU and she went back to Weber State.


In fact, about 2 or 3 weeks after I met Kathryn this other person dumped me on a weekend I had come home for my National Guard weekend. If I was being honest with myself, I knew it was coming; long distance things just never really work anyhow, plus the relationship was not really a good one anyhow.


But it still messed me up. I felt pretty devistated by it. Probably the most significant feeling I had was that now I would never see her or talk to her again. I felt like I had girls that were friends, but whenever I tried to get the relationship more serious, it would end up really messy. Plus, it had a really negative impact on my grades. That quarter was the worst of my college career. I decided then and there that I wasn't going to bother with this getting serious thing until I had my degree. My degree was just too big of a deal to mess up.


But then I went down to First Night in SLC with Kathryn and a few of her friends and a few of my friends. Once again, other posts will detail that night, but it was a definate turning point in my feeling and relationship with Kathryn. All dispite my best laid plans to not get involved until after I graduated.


By the time Valentines day came along and the incident mentioned by Kathryn, there were some serious misgivings on my ability to hold to my committment. I was still struggling with the idea that if I had tried to get more serious with Kathryn, she would just end up hating me like all the other girls I had made an attempt with. I felt like Kathryn was a really good friend and I didn't want to mess that up. But I also was starting to recognize that she was the person I had been looking for all my life.


We started hanging out more and more, and even sort of branched off and did things just with the two of us. I remember going to play racquetball with her, Sharon, and Phil. Afterwards, just she and I were sitting in the Student Center and kind of chatting. I really wanted to make a move and just hold her hand or something, but I couldn't get the courage up.


Around the first of that next March, I made a resolution. I decided I was going to step out and risk it. I didn't know how I would do it, but I was going to let her know 100% for sure I was thinking about something serious with her and that there would be no doubt. I wanted to coordinate it with my March Guard drills. That way, I could step away from it for a few days and think about it clearly, let her think about it clearly, and if somehow everything was OK when I got back, I would know there was something to it.


I had no real plan to say anything or what I was going to do. We did something that Friday night; I think we were watching movies at my apartment. After it was all said and done, she went to go home, so I walked her to her car.


When she was going to leave, and I don't know what came over me to do it, I just took her and kissed her for the first time. I think she was really floored. I don't think she expected it. It was definately a step. She got in her car and drove off and I went back to my apartment and then went home for the weekend.


Needless to say, when I got back, I felt good about things. Of course, I was worried that maybe Kathryn was freaked out and would tell me to take a hike. But that didn't happen. We talked about it afterwards, and that is when we both knew that things not only were right, but were going to get even more serious.


Now, I could tell you exactly what happened to Kathryn after she left my apartment that night. I only know because she told me later. Maybe she could tell it better? It's a good story. Hints? Let's see, there was something about a hubcap? Can you elaborate Kathryn?


5 comments:

Kat said...

*Blush* No comment Cheese Face!

Marni said...

Mike! Welcome to the blogging world. And way to send the ball back to her court. :)

Sharon said...

That is so cool to hear your side of the story. Like I was telling Ken, Carol and I suspected there was something between you and Kathryn before Kathryn did - I think - at least that matches her story re. her comments about Valentine's Day. Anyway - thanks for sharing.

Mike Clark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...

Ok, ok...so there was some kind of natural high involved and there may have been a big pot hole and I may have lost a hubcap on the way home. ;)