Sunday, February 8, 2009

Winter Camp, Cold, and Scout Sunday

So, how often do you blog? I don't know - I guess it's more like whenever you feel like it.

I had my winter camp for the Scouts. I think this may have been one of the least enjoyable camps I have been on in a while. I know that sounds negative, but it was so cold up there. We went up to Liberty, UT at the Stake Camp and stayed under the bowery. I have done that before with the Scouts, but this time for some reason was really cold. I had my cot which is usually quite comfortable, but this time there was some wind, and it kept the air moving underneath the cot. That kept it pretty cold.

I have a nice sleeping bag, but anywhere I made contact with the cot, the cold air kept that area really cold. I switched between lying on one side until it went numb from the cold, then rolled over to warm it back up and let the other side go numb. It made for a really long night.

Then we went over to Pineview to do ice fishing the next morning. They were successful in that there was ice. No fish, but plenty of ice. The ice on Pineview is at least 14 inches thick. I think they say that you can safely drive a semi-truck on ice that is 6 inches thick. Why you would want to drive a semi on a lake, I am not quite sure. Maybe it's one of those stupid human tricks? I don't know.

I guess it could have been worse. I have had worse experiences on Scout camps, but I certainly have had better. At least all the boys seemed to have enjoyed themselves. No real severe complaining, at least.

I guess the crux of my problem was the cold. I really hate the cold. I am definately not a winter person. I think the worst months of the year are January and February. March is getting better because then I can start to see my roses coming out of hybernation. I really like that. Spring is such a great time of year. I guess I have to keep myself positive and realize that there can't be any spring without winter. Sort of like saying you can't appreciate pleasure without knowing pain, I guess.

Anyhow, today was also Scout Sunday. I 'got' to speak in church about Scouting and how it helps prepare young men to be missionaries and fathers. I guess it went well. Everyone said they liked it.

Well, I guess I am done for the night.

1 comment:

Andrew M. said...

This is kind of amazing, because I was just commenting to Brooke and my coworkers that I hate January. In fact, I celebrated on Feb 1st. February is not that great either, but at least it is shorter. Only a couple days, but it still feels shorter. I love spring, too--favorite time of year.
Good to hear from you--keep posting!